[Bioperl-l] method naming

Steve Chervitz sac at bioperl.org
Wed Jun 13 21:17:27 UTC 2007

On 6/13/07, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at gmx.net> wrote:
> We set a convention a while back on how to name these. It is
> implemented in the bioperl.lisp file (too bad no one is using emacs
> any more these days - it's a great editor),

As a staunch xemacs-ophile I couldn't let that one slip by. Maybe we
could improve the visibility of bioperl.lisp. In truth, I had
forgotten about it, though lit turns out I was loading an old version
of it. (Btw, using the latest version of bioperl.lisp with xemacs
21.4.17, I don't get a bioperl menu item, though I can access bioperl
functions via M-x. Suggestions?)

I see bioperl.lisp is mentioned twice parenthetically in the advanced
bioperl wiki page. Perhaps a separate 'Editor/IDE support' item here
would help. While we're at it, maybe we could add a bioperl.vi file to
the distribution (if you can do such things with vi/vim).

On 6/13/07, Chris Fields <cjfields at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> We probably need to post this somewhere on the wiki for future
> reference; maybe in Advanced BioPerl?  I'll add this in shortly.

Another idea: Add a method naming check to the set of audits we
perform on CVS committed code. It could check for agreement with our
conventions and warn if nothing was found (may not be a problem
though).

Steve