[Bioperl-l] Test related Suggestions

Nathan S. Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 13:47:24 UTC 2007

Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:
> One more suggestion:
>
> It would be extemaly useful if we had a standard way of testing that a when a
> file is read into a bioperl object and then written out again into a same
> format, the input and output files are identical. If not, the test should
> show where the the differences start (showing all the differences would just
> clutter the screen).
>
> This standard method/subroutine should be used to test all sequence and other
> text file IO.
>
> Any takers?
>
> 	-Heikki

Wouldn't this require info about the formatting of the file to be stored
in the object as well, such that the same formatting could be used when
writing the file?

Wouldn't a better approach be to read the contents of file1 into ojb1,
write obj1 to file2 in the same format, and then read file2 into obj2
and compare obj1 to obj2 to ensure we have all the same data.

Nath