[Bioperl-l] Feature/Annotation rollback(update)

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun Aug 26 20:57:37 UTC 2007

The thing that I actually never quite understood (and predates the
API changes) is why $ann->as_text() needs to include explanatory text
such as 'Direct database link to blah in database foo.' I would have
said that "TSC:TSC0000030" is human readable enough, unless you
present it without any context so that one would have no clue that it
is a database cross-reference.

The as_text() method shouldn't be meant for the sole purpose of
debugging annotation collections. However, I'm not sure for what else
you could use it for, given that there are no guidelines for what to
expect.

In fact, I do use as_text() a lot for a real purpose, namely as a
surrogate unique key. For example, making a collection of dblinks
unique is quite simple using the as_text() method:

	my %dbhash = map { ($_->as_text(), $_) } $anncoll->remove_Annotations
('dblink');
	$anncoll->add_Annotation('dblink',$_) foreach (values %dbhash);

This is a common task when harvesting annotation from various places
and then integrating it. However, there is nothing in the API
documentation that suggests that this might be a reliable or even
expected property such that you could omit the 'dblink' tag above.

I agree that having a conceptual equivalent to $feature->display_name
and $seq->display_id would be good, but these methods have no claim
to returning something that's unique in any way.

I guess I've now raised more questions than I answered (in fact I
didn't answer any). Sorry 'bout that.

	-hilmar