[Bioperl-l] Homologene parser?

Siddhartha Basu basu at pharm.stonybrook.edu
Tue Aug 14 16:16:23 UTC 2007

neeti somaiya wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I think the homologene data files have changed now on the ftp, from what you
> had used.
> It is now homologene.data and homologene.xml.
> I tried using your parser, but because it was written on the file
> hmlg.trip.ftp, it doesnt work anymore.
>
> I came across a parser
> http://bioinformatics.tgen.org/brunit/software/bioparser/docs/pod_bio_parser_homologene_fileparser_pm.shtml
> .
> I am looking at it to see if it works for me. NOt sure if it will.
>
> ~Neeti.

Hi Neeti,
I have recently written a parser for 'homologene' xml data specific for
my purpose. I am not sure whether it will suit your purpose but it could
be extended for general purpose parsing, so i am putting it forward.
Here is how it works .......

* It only parses a single homologene entry <HG-Entry>.....</HG-Entry>.
* It does SAX based parsing (currently uses XML::SAX::ExpatXS)
* Returns a graph(uses Graph module of perl) object where each node is a
homologue entry with its corresponding entrez gene id. Each node also
contain the following attributes ...
	* Refseq protein id.
	* Protein id (pid)
	* ncbi taxon id.
* The edge attribute contain information about the ortholog(true/false)
relationship between two nodes.
* The rest of tags currently are not being extracted. However, parsing
the rest of the tags should not be very difficult.

Generally i get homologene xml stream from an 'efetch' through
Bio::DB::EUtilities, feed it to the parser, gets back 'Graph' object and
then works on it.

So, to make it more generic and work on local file

* We need another class that reads the chunk between
<HG-Entry>.....</HG-Entry> and sends it to the parser.
* Add supports for most of the tags.
* Massage the data to a bioperl compatible object.

The first two i could work it out and for the last one i have to figure
out the bioperl object that could be suitable (like  Bio::Cluster or
Bio::NetWork::Node/Edge).

Let me know if it sounds interesting and i will send you the code.

-siddhartha