[Bioperl-l] newbie wants install help

hari jayaram harijay at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 17:09:32 UTC 2007

Hey all ,
Thanks for your help. Its working real well now.

Turns out I had not set my PERL5LIB environment variable correctly and it
was not finding the installed modules (thanks Sendu)

So the steps I followed were
1) Install CPAN as myself as detailed
http://www.dcc.fc.up.pt/~pbrandao/aulas/0203/AR/modules_inst_cpan.html
Importantly the line which tells CPAN what prefix to use for all module
installs
PREFIX=~/perl5lib/ LIB=~/perl5lib/lib INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/perl5lib/man1
INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/perl5lib/man3

2) Set the Perl5LIB to /home/perl5lib/lib ( and not just /home/perl5lib) in
the shell . I use cshell so I edited .cshrc
setenv PERL5LIB /home/hari/perl5lib/lib
setenv MANPATH ${MANPATH}:/home/hari/perl5lib

3) Updated the system CPAN to latest version - this woked very well once the
perl5lib was installed ..only it took a while and sometimes stalled with
messages like done 31/34  But a CTRL C , got it going again

4) Made sure I was using the new CPAN v1.9102

5) Installed Bioperl with command
install S/SE/SENDU/bioperl-1.5.2_102.tar.gz

AND I was good to go..

I am thinking I will screencast this process for everyones benefit and put
it up on bioscreencast.com . If that will be useful for others.
Thanks to everyone on the group. Now the journey begins

Hari Jayaram