[Bioperl-l] Fwd: Question regarding Bio::GenBank module

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 8 19:41:34 UTC 2007

NCBI eUtils (which Bio::DB::GenBank uses to get sequence data) has a
list of user requirements:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/
eutils_help.html#UserSystemRequirements

The most important one is the 3 second timeout between requests, but
the module already implements that policy so there isn't a real issue
unless you deliberately mess with that setting.  NCBI has been known
to block IPs which don't follow that particular rule.  Also, if you
are planning making hundreds of requests you should consider running
the script during low traffic times as indicated in the above link.

chris