[Bioperl-l] Extracting Gene Names Genome Ontology (GO) with Perl

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 16 16:25:42 UTC 2007

You can limit EntrezGene searches by Gene Ontology ID using the [Gene
Ontology] field in queries.  The following query:

'9220[Gene Ontology]'

will give 120 gene IDs.  You can get the same list using the still-
under-development Bio::DB::EUtilities (usual EUtilities caveat: I'm
still working on this):

my $esearch = Bio::DB::EUtilities->new(-eutil => 'esearch',
                                        -db => 'gene',
                                        -term => '9220[Gene Ontology]',
                                        -retmax => 300);
$esearch->get_response;
my @ids = $esearch->get_ids;
print join "\n", at ids;

In my opinion, Sean's idea of using SQL is probably better if you
have tons of searches to do.

chris