[Bioperl-l] Odd spamming on bioperl wiki

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 12 19:44:28 UTC 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Mark Johnson wrote:

> Looks like MediaWiki has some built in functionality:
>
>    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Anti-spam_Features
>    http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit
>
> I'm not sure I'd call what they're doing spam, more like vandalism,
> but either way, I don't see the point (though I only looked at a
> couple examples via Recent Changes).
>
> If they're indeed bots, maybe it's time to enable Captchas? Depending
> on who they are and what their goals are, that may get rid of them
> completely or just slow them down.

Already done; Mauricio installed ConfirmEdit yesterday after a bit of
off-list discussion (thanks again Mauricio!).

If you create a new account you'll encounter a simple captcha (it
isn't configured for each edit yet).  We may implement confirmations
per edit or install picture captchas at a later point, dep. on how
well the current system works.

We may start granting anyone interested in maintaining the wiki sysop
privs which makes handling spam easier.  If so we'll probably
announce something along those lines here first.