[Bioperl-l] Simplifications now possible with Perl 5.6.1requirement?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 28 13:48:33 UTC 2006

Heikki,

I may try my hand at it.  I'm pretty tied up for the time being, but
I'll take a look at the code and tests to see what can be done.

OT here, but Torsten is also going through a list of modules w/o
tests to see if he can work something up for them; I'll chip in where
I can.  If you have any suggestions please let us know.

Here's that list:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Untested_Modules_in_BioPerl

Chris

On Sep 28, 2006, at 7:50 AM, Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:

>> Another issue is 'unpacking' of @_ and the regex capture
>> variables.  There
>> are a number of modules where maintainability is shot b/c someone
>> didn't
>> unpack regex captures, like so:
>>
>> ($site, $pos1, $pos2, $strand, $score) = ($1, $2, $3, $5, $5);
>>
>> Bio::Map::CytoPosition comes to mind.  At least build a queue out
>> of them!
>
> At least I got the code working. ;-)
>
> The original version of the code was written in icarus (programming
> language
> of SRS) which has many similarities to perl but also a lot of
> limitations and
> twisted ways of doing things.
>
> Feel free to work on the code.
>

> 	-Heikki
>
> --
> ______ _/      _/_____________________________________________________
>       _/      _/
>      _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehvaslaiho    heikki at_sanbi _ac _za
>     _/_/_/_/_/  Associate Professor    skype: heikki_lehvaslaiho
>    _/  _/  _/  SANBI, South African National Bioinformatics Institute
>   _/  _/  _/  University of Western Cape, South Africa
>      _/      Phone: +27 21 959 2096   FAX: +27 21 959 2512

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry