[Bioperl-l] problem with installation of Bioperl1.4 on Windows XPPC using ActivePerl PPM

Nathan Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Sep 20 16:16:06 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> [...]
I've been looking at this a little bit today. It is weird! Firstly, I
thought new ppm4 can't actually find a File::Spec module other than
version 0.82 and thought it might be due to the addition of new tags to
ppd files (<REQUIRE> and <PROVIDE>) in order to better track
dependencies etc. However, I don't have File::Spec installed, or
PathTools so I have no idea where it gets the version numbers from!

I would install a slightly earlier version of Perl which still uses
PPM3. All versions >= 5.8.8.818 will only contain PPM4, so either
download 5.6.1 or download an old release of 5.8.8 from here:
http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/5.8/

Sorry I couldn't be too much help.
Nathan