[Bioperl-l] Conversion of EMBL format flat file to GFF format flat file

Krys Kelly kak28 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 20 13:49:49 UTC 2006

I am completely new to Bioperl.  I would like to convert an EMBL flat file
into a GFF flat file. To make sure I could get a perl script to work I have
used the following script to read in my EMBL file and write it out as FASTA:

my $in  = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => "Toxo1b_080605_test.embl",

                       -format => 'EMBL');

my $out = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => ">ChrIb_new.fasta",

                       -format => 'fasta');

while ( my $seq = $in->next_seq() ) {$out->write_seq($seq); }

But the list of formats available
(http://bioperl.open-bio.org/wiki/HOWTO:SeqIO#Formats ) does not contain
gff.

I have tried searching the documentation and the mail archives, but I have
not found anything that would help me. Are there any existing bioperl
modules for this conversion? I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Krys

Dr Krystyna A Kelly (Krys)

Department of Pathology