[Bioperl-l] More on PDB and chains...

Bernd Web bernd.web at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 11:53:15 UTC 2006

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks for your info.
Re the chain labelling: I fully agree with you, in case the chains are
labelled. HETATMS in the chain should remain in the chain. That's why
we talked about non-chain hetero atoms.
If the chain is not labelled which is the case if  only one (default)
chain exists (e.g. 102L) all non-chain HETATMS also end up in the
default chain. This is not nice: it becomes tedious to check if a
HETATM is part of the chain or not. In case of such records (102L) it
could be good not to store non-chain in the default chain and obey the
TER chain termination label.

Regards,
Bernd