[Bioperl-l] More on PDB and chains...

Brian Osborne osborne1 at optonline.net
Thu Sep 14 18:15:30 UTC 2006

Chris and Bernd,

I believe there's more to it than structure->chain->residue->atom, it is
currently more like entry->structure AKA model->chain->residue->atom. In
this way one can accommodate macromolecular structures or complexes composed
of more than 1 protein, each protein capable of having more than one chain.

>From Entry.pm:

This object stores a whole Bio::Structure entry. It can consist of one
or more models (L<Bio::Structure::Model>), which in turn consist of one
or more chains (L<Bio::Structure::Chain>). A chain is composed of residues
(L<Bio::Structure::Residue>) and a residue consists of atoms
(L<Bio::Structure::Atom>).

My understanding is that multiple models in a single PDB file are separated
by ENDMDL - Bernd, do you know of a multi-model PDB entry?

However, Entry is handling all kinds of different functions e.g. getting and
setting residues. I agree that this is unconventional.

Brian O.