[Bioperl-l] More on PDB and chains...

Bernd Web bernd.web at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 15:56:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

HETATM sometimes are present in a chain. So we cannot just exclude all
HETATMS from a chain. However, since a chain is terminated with TER we
could indeed store all non-chain HETATMs in an object (indeed like
$struc->get_hetatm).

What would be nice is to be able to see if a "residue" IN a chain is a
HETATM. (Sometimes) modified residues (e.g. CME) are also labelled
HETATM. At least internally to Structure::pdb it is clear what are
HETATMs since the PDB files are written (almost) correctly.
I used a script on
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/bioperl-guts-l/2005-November/020116.html
to write PDB from 8HVP. In this case indeed at each "border" between
ATOM and HETATOM within the chain a TER is printed where the original
record has ATOM. Look for ABA and LOV HETATMS in the chain.

Indeed I agree that non-chain HETATMs should not be part of the default chain.
So a PDB record (e.g. 102L) with only one chain should have the
protein chain and a separate HETATM "chain".

Bernd