[Bioperl-l] test::more template

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 20 15:38:02 UTC 2006

> Nathan Haigh wrote:
> > I thought I'd have my first proper try at writing some tests. I was
> wondering if there is a template test file that I should use/study in
> order to be
> > consistent with other tests.
> >
> > Failing that - Is there a good test writing style I should follow in one
> of the other test files?
>
> I originally based mine on one of Chris's EUtilities tests, but now
> refer to t/ESEfinder.t since it is small and demonstrates all the major
> tricky things you might have to do - skip remote tests if no
> BIOPERLDEBUG, skip remote tests on remote server failure, skip all tests
> under some condition, fall-back to t/lib for Test::More if necessary.
>
> (Though I just spotted an oops in the latter...)

I agree.  The EUtilities tests are quite long.  I plan on eventually cutting
out some of them  Making them somewhat less prone to changes in returned XML
data has also been a pain, as demonstrated by some of the tests from MAIN
now failing... d'oh!

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry