[Bioperl-l] Annotation-DBLink- version numbers repeating

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Thu Oct 19 05:00:28 UTC 2006

So I'm unsure what we should do here.

We can certainly fix the problem which you report which is relying on
the "" method -- if you were to do instead:
print $_->database, ":", $_->primary_id, "\n";

you'll get the right answer.  We at a minimum just fix the auto-
string converting method to do The Right Thing.

But I am not sure if we should keep the version out of the primary_id
field.  This will require some rejiggering in several modules when it
comes to printing DBlinks and I don't want to do this before the
release. I also am not sure if there was an explicit reason why
someone did put the version information in the primary_id. (I hope it
wasn't me because I don't think I'm going to remember why).

Does anyone else have a strong feeling?

-jason