[Bioperl-l] INSTALL and INSTALL.WIN

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 17 14:45:53 UTC 2006

> > One way we could make sure that changes to the online docs would match
> the
> > CVS docs would be to only allow certain wiki users (such as sysadmins)
> make
> > modifications to those pages.  That way any changes would have to go
> through
> > someone who also has CVS access and could make similar changes to the
> > distribution docs.
> >
> Ugh, not sure I like the sound of maintaining 2 copies of any files -
> sounds like a future headache even if they are pretty stable. It also
> makes it unclear which of the two file should be considered first (i.e.
> is the most up-to-date) on pages such as:
> http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Installing_BioPerl
>
> It suggests that INSTALL and INSTALL.WIN should be looked at first, but
> there are online copies of those files available - this should now be
> the other way around - shouldn't it? I might just be making a mountain
> out of a molehill, so I'll shut up on this topic and make any future
> edits to the wiki pages instead.

Yes that should be the other way around (the wiki would be the most
up-to-date), so the CVS docs should point to the wiki, not vice-versa.

Getting the docs right is as important as getting the code to work.  So I
don't consider it a 'mountain-out-of-a-molehill' problem.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign