[Bioperl-l] Sort blast file result according to evalues

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 6 14:58:09 UTC 2006

The evalue for the hit is retrieved by the BlastHit::signifiance()
method, if I remember correctly.  So if $hit is a
Bio::Search::Hit::BlastHit object, you use $hit->significance.  If
you want individual HSP evalues, you would use $hsp->evalue for the
individual HSP objects.

The output is normally sorted by the order they appear in the
alignments and table, which is typically by increasing evalue or
decreasing bits (score).  So they are already sorted.  If you wanted
to run a sort yourself you could use a sort block using '{$a-
 >significance() <=> $b->significance()} @hits', but as pointed out
on the wiki it may be safer to run a Schwartzian transform instead:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Bioperl_Best_Practices#Sorting

Chris