[Bioperl-l] EUtilities term handling

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 5 15:59:53 UTC 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:

>>> Well, yes. This causes what I thought of as a bug. It prevents me
>>> from submitting a /correct/ eutils term. However it isn't a bug
>>> if you explain to users they shouldn't be submitting valid eutils
>>> terms, but only valid /entrez/ terms.
>> I can specify in POD that URI encoding is in effect if that
>> placates you, and maybe add a bit about how terms are to be built
>> (based on the website).  I also noticed that the esearch POD
>> doesn't have a demo in the SYNOPSIS yet (my fault).
>> However, I think this is all a bit silly.  This is something most
>> people already realize and take for granted (it's standard for any
>> CGI interface to use URI encoding).
>> Also, most Entrez users do not use a term like 'BRCA2+Human
>> [ORGANISM]'.  They use 'BRCA2 AND Human[ORGANISM]' or 'BRCA2 Human
>> [ORGANISM]', the latter which is implicit.  All of this is on the
>> Entrez website.
>
> Exactly. You're assuming an entrez user and expecting an entrez
> query. I don't think its silly given the name of the modules for
> the user to assume the code needs an eutils query, which is a
> different thing with different behaviour /independent/ of URI
> encoding.

It's a silly distinction.  The POD for Bio::DB::EUtilities states:

Bio::DB::EUtilities - interface for handling web queries and data
retrieval from NCBI's Entrez Utilities.

My question is this : why would anyone (particularly the everyday
bioperl user) want to use URL-encoded parameters for a query?  That
seems to be your main argument here.  If so, wouldn't I just paste
them together then send them off NCBI eutils?  Would I devote ~ 10
classes to that?  I could do that in a short program using an array,
join, and LWP::Simple.

The purpose is quite clearly stated, but if you feel that by
badgering me to add something to POD I consider common sense, then
you're right.  You've succeeded.  Bravo.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry