[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::SwissProt Error

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 5 14:06:50 UTC 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:

> Marc Weimer wrote:
> [snip]
>>   my $db_obj = new Bio::DB::SwissProt(-verbose=>1);
>>
>>   my $seq_obj = $db_obj->get_Seq_by_acc('P43780');
> [snip]
>> using Bioperl 1.4-1 I get the error message
> [snip]
>>   ------------- EXCEPTION: Bio::Root::Exception -------------
>>   MSG: swissprot stream with no ID. Not swissprot in my book
> [snip]
>> Any suggestions?
>
> It works with the latest Bioperl. I'm not sure if 1.5.1 works (the
> most
> recent official release), but 1.5.2 does
> (http://bioperl.org/wiki/Release_1.5.2), as does a checkout from CVS
> (http://bioperl.org/wiki/Getting_BioPerl#CVS).

Mark, you'll have to update to 1.5.2 or CVS, as Sendu suggested.
There were server changes for biofetch which were fixed about 4-6
months ago (post rel. 1.5.1); I think several changes were made to
Bio::SeqIO::swiss as well during this period.

I think the error here results from Bio::SeqIO::swiss trying to parse
an empty byte stream.  Sendu, do you think that Bio::SeqIO::swiss
(and other SeqIO parsers) should throw a more specific message for
getting an empty byte stream?  Or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry