[Bioperl-l] Bioperl 1.5.2 RC5 install onWinXPActivePerl 5.8.8.819

Nathan S. Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 21:41:30 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
>>> Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
>>> Reproduce:
>>> 1) clean install of ActivePerl 5.8.8.819 on WinXP
>>> 2) Install nmake in path
>>> 3) run "cpan CPAN" to install the latest version of CPAN module
>>> 4) ran cpan, accepted default for new CPAN configuration,
>>>
>> ran "o conf
>>
>>> prefer_installer MB" and "o conf commit" then "q"
>>> 5) run "cpan Module::Build" to install the latest version of
>>> Module::Build
>>> 6) run "cpan" and then "install
>>> S/SE/SENDU/bioperl-1.5.2_005-RC*b*.tar.gz"
>>> 7) Choose not to install optional modules
>>> 8) Error shows here
>>>
>>> Installing all optional modules doesn't produce the error.
>>> However, It produces the problem i've told you about
>>>
>> missing "scripts"
>>
>>> dir (actually, it's not just the scripts dir - it's all but
>>>
>> the base
>>
>>> dir it was unpacked into).
>>>
>>> Nath
>>>
>> Confirmed, using same setup as Nathan.
>>
>> chris
>>

> Okay, revise that.  I get the message you mentioned, but installation only
> fails after tests are run.  The single failed test (rnamotif.t) is due to
> DB_File not being installed, which Sendu has corrected in CVS and (I think)
> the 1.5.2 branch.  However, I can't get DB_File to install via CPAN (I have
> VC++ Express Edition installed).  I think XML::SAX and a few others fail as
> well.
>
> Chris

Yes that's correct, I get the message but things then seem to proceed
normally (not that I know what normal is!).
I had to install DB_File via PPM and install XML::SAX explicitly in
CPAN. That then seems to have cleared things up and the tests pass and
bioperl core is installed. However, there are other optional
dependencies that didn't install successfully - I suppose I should
investigate those tomorrow.

Nath

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0652-2, 30/11/2006
Tested on: 30/11/2006 21:41:31