[Bioperl-l] URI, Graph, and Module::Build

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Wed Nov 29 16:04:07 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> Sendu,
>
> For the Build.PL dependencies, do we want to use the absolute module
> requirements (URI::Escape, Graph::Directed, XML::SAX::Base) or the
> distributions they are in (URI, Graph, XML::SAX)?  Or does it really
> make a difference?

It makes a difference right now only where the absolute module doesn't
have a version (because in Build.PL we ask for at least version 0, which
fails if version in the modules is actually undef). I'll fix that in the
future, so it is best to use the absolute module for clarity.

> Also, you had mentioned that Bundle::Bioperl is no longer needed since
> you can have them installed via Build.  Does that also hold true for
> Windows (since CPAN is, at best, very testy installing on Windows)?

In what way is it testy? I set up a new WinXP machine today and
installed ActiveState. My Build.PL script happily offered to install
Module::Build for me with CPAN and it almost worked up until CPAN needed
nmake. After installing nmake I upgraded CPAN with no problems and then
everything worked after that (I only tried to install one optional dep
with Build.PL via CPAN, and that worked fine).

So yes, I'd say it holds true for Windows. Though I haven't sorted out
the ppd stuff yet.