[Bioperl-l] A procedure for efficient testing of the installation of BioPerl

Conrad Halling chhalling at verizon.net
Tue Nov 28 03:25:00 UTC 2006

I have devised the following procedure that lets me repeatedly install
BioPerl release candidates for testing the installation process. I am
performing these tests under Mac OS X 10.4.8. I thought it would be
useful to document this process for anyone else who is testing the
installation process.

I downloaded the tarball for Perl 5.8.8 and ran the following commands
to set up the code for installation:

 cd /Volumes/CHHalling/Perl/Perl-5.8.8
 tar -xzf perl-5.8.8.tgz
 cd perl-5.8.8
 sh Configure -Dprefix=/test/perl -Dcc=gcc -des
 make
 make test

For each round of testing, I run the following commands to install a
fresh copy of Perl 5.8.8 and then initialize the cpan utility:

 cd /Volumes/CHHalling/Perl/Perl-5.8.8/perl-5.8.8
 sudo rm -rf /test
 sudo mkdir /test
 sudo make install
 sudo rm -rf ~/.cpan
 export PATH=/test/perl/bin:$PATH
 sudo cpan

Then I run my cpan commands. For installing BioPerl without having
installed the dependencies, I enter the command:

 cpan> install S/SE/SENDU/bioperl-1.5.2_005-RCb.tar.gz

For installing the dependencies, then installing BioPerl, I enter the
commands:

 cpan> install Bundle::BioPerl
 cpan> install S/SE/SENDU/bioperl-1.5.2_005-RCb.tar.gz

For testing modifications to Bundle::BioPerl (the subject of my next
post), I execute the following commands (which exit the cpan utility
after I have initialized it, create the Bundle subdirectory, copy the
BioPerl.pm file that contains the Bundle::BioPerl package to the
.cpan/Bundle directory, start the cpan utility, and install
Bundle::BioPerl and BioPerl 1.5.2 RC5):

 cpan> exit
 $ sudo mkdir ~/.cpan/Bundle
 $ sudo cp /Volumes/CHHalling/Perl/BioPerl/BioPerl.pm ~/.cpan/Bundle/
 $ sudo cpan
 cpan> install Bundle::BioPerl
 cpan> install S/SE/SENDU/bioperl-1.5.2_005-RCb.tar.gz

When I have finished testing the installation, I loop back to step 2,
where I remove the /test directory and reinstall Perl 5.8.8.

A note: I was going to use the same procedure to test installing BioPerl
1.5.2 under Perl 5.6.1, but I discovered that Perl 5.6.1 is *so old*
that there is no Makefile for Mac OS X.

--
Conrad Halling
chhalling at verizon.net