[Bioperl-l] Changing default reply-to on this list

Roy Chaudhuri roy at colibase.bham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 21 18:51:30 UTC 2006

> I'd like to propose changing the default reply-to for posts on this list
> from the current 'reply to the poster' to 'reply to the mailing list'.
> That way people can just hit 'reply' instead of 'reply to all' in order
> to get a reply back to the list.

We did this on our mailing list, and found it to be problematic if the
messages still appear to come from an individual rather than the list-
people may not realise they are replying to the whole list. This can
lead to all sorts of issues- my boss and a collaborator once had a
discussion (fortunately nothing too sensitive) that was accidentally
copied to everyone in their field. The alternative is to overwrite the
from: field as well as reply-to:, but then you rely on people having
suitably informative signatures should anyone want to contact them
off-list, and it makes the archives less useful.

See also this:

Maybe you could tag a reminder to reply-all on every list message?

Roy.
--
Dr. Roy Chaudhuri
Bioinformatics Research Fellow