[Bioperl-l] Minor changes to Build.PL for Windows

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Wed Nov 22 23:30:07 UTC 2006

Scott Cain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to mention that I made a few minor changes to Build.PL so
> that I could get `perl Build.PL` to complete successfully.  I am using
> ActivePerl 819 and don't have MySQL installed (so DBD::mysql isn't
> present either.  The main thing I did was to have the BioDBGFF test
> subroutine quit without asking any questions if Build.PL detected that
> it was running on Windows.

Is it completely impossible for it to pass under Windows? I find that
quite a shame!

I'm surprised it was necessary to make your changes, because it already
had to return true from:

DBI->connect('dbi:mysql:test',undef,undef,{RaiseError=>0,PrintError=>0})

Can Windows pass that test without DBD::mysql installed, and having
passed it why does it then fail the actual BioDBSeqFeature_mysql.t script?

The cleanest way to do your change would be to make some change to the
test_db() sub, eg:

sub test_db {
  eval {require DBI;};
  if ($^O =~ /mswin/i) {
   return "Windows isn't supported";
  }
  unless
(DBI->connect('dbi:mysql:test',undef,undef,{RaiseError=>0,PrintError=>0})) {
         return "Could not connect to test database";
     }

     return;
}