[Bioperl-l] Optional dependency handling, devs please read

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Tue Nov 21 17:41:04 UTC 2006

With the new Build.PL, when it does its check to see if optional
external modules are installed or not, for each module that isn't
installed I can print out details of what Bioperl modules need it and
why and then ask if you'd like to install that module before proceeding.

This is obviously very useful for people doing one-off installations
from CPAN, giving them informed choices and letting them avoid any
problems with particular external modules (vs. having all or nothing by
installing Bundle::BioPerl).

But for developers, if you choose not to install a module, you'll keep
getting asked if you want to install it every time you run Build.PL.

So the question is, would this be too annoying? How often do you run
Build.PL? (Or, how often did you do 'perl Makefile.PL' previously?) I
run it all the time because I'm developing the thing and trying to sort
out installation issues, but would it bother anyone else?

Cheers,
Sendu.