[Bioperl-l] Budle::BioPerl dependency issues

David Messina dmessina at wustl.edu
Mon Nov 20 18:34:27 UTC 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:
> The description for Bundle::BioPerl
> (http://search.cpan.org/~craffi/Bundle-BioPerl-2.1.7/BioPerl.pm)
>
> says:
> "NOTE: This Bundle does not install BioPerl"

Right, but if you are in the CPAN shell, you won't see that:

cpan[2]> b Bundle::BioPerl

     CPAN_USERID  CRAFFI (Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org>)
     CPAN_VERSION 2.001008
     CPAN_FILE    C/CR/CRAFFI/Bundle-BioPerl-2.1.8.tar.gz
     UPLOAD_DATE  2006-11-18
     MANPAGE      Bundle::BioPerl - A bundle to install external CPAN
modules used by BioPerl 1.5.2
     CONTAINS     Ace Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene Class::AutoClass Clone
Convert::Binary::C Data::Stag::Writer DBD::mysql GD::SVG GD
Graph::Directed HTML::Parser HTTP::Request::Common LWP::UserAgent
Set::Scalar SOAP::Lite Spreadsheet::ParseExcel Storable SVG
SVG::Graph Text::Shellwords XML::DOM::XPath XML::Parser::PerlSAX
XML::SAX XML::SAX::Base XML::SAX::Writer XML::Simple XML::Twig
XML::Writer
     INST_FILE    /Users/davemessina/.cpan/Bundle/BioPerl.pm
     INST_VERSION 2.1.8

Nor if you type:
cpan[6]> readme Bundle::BioPerl

Not to make too much of this (some will miss it no matter how many
warnings there are), but I am suggesting that it could be a little
more noticeable, that's all.

> I'll be changing the INSTALL docs to say not to use Bundle::BioPerl
> when installing with CPAN (you don't need it). Bundle::BioPerl is
> only for convenience when installing manually from archives or CVS.

Ah, okay, great, Sendu. I didn't know that. ;) I'll leave it to you,
then.

Dave