[Bioperl-l] No more Makefile.PL (MakeMaker -> Module::Build)

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 10 16:29:42 UTC 2006

On Nov 10, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Stefan Kirov wrote:

> I personally like the idea. Why not have both for this release to
> ensure smooth transition? Sendu, would having Makefile.PL (I mean
> the old one) along with the build script be a problem? I am not
> very familiar with both modules, but from the pdoc it seems it
> should not be too hard:
>
> Note that if you want to provide both a Makefile.PL and a
> Build.PL for your distribution, you probably want to add
> the following to "WriteMakefile" in your Makefile.PL so
> that MakeMaker doesn’t try to run your Build.PL as a nor
> mal .PL file:
>
> PL_FILES => {},
>

> Stefan

Sounds like a good compromise to me.  Like I said, the only problem I
had is introducing something drastically new after three RCs (and
just prior to a final release; I think Sendu wanted to release the
final 1.5.2 next week, just before Thanksgiving here.).  There is no
problem though if we have the old Makefile.PL to fall back to for
this release.  In fact, you could remove it from HEAD when needed;
the file still exists on the 1.5.2 branch, right?

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry