[Bioperl-l] Distribution files, versions

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 10 16:21:07 UTC 2006

> Most modules in the distribution take their version from
> Bio::Root::Version, but some do not. Is there some reason they must
> keep
> the version they currently have, or can they be made like the others?
>
> These are the modules that seem to define their own version (based
> on a
> quick grep):
> Bio/DB/NCBIHelper.pm
> Bio/DB/Expression/geo.pm
> Bio/DB/EUtilities/elink.pm
> Bio/SeqIO/tinyseq.pm
> Bio/Graphics/Glyph/cds.pm
> Bio/Graphics/Glyph/translation.pm
> Bio/Graphics/Glyph/so_transcript.pm
> Bio/Index/Blast.pm
> Bio/Index/Hmmer.pm
> Bio/Tools/WebBlat.pm
> Bio/Tools/HMM.pm
> Bio/Tools/dpAlign.pm

They probably shouldn't have their own unless there is a good reason
(and I can't really think of one).  The elink $VERSION is for the
NCBI elink DTD, not the bioperl version, but that should be changed
in elinks to something else beside $VERSION (my bad).  The same
reasoning may be relevant for the other modules; we'll just have to
check them one-by-one.

Chris

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher