[Bioperl-l] Distribution files, versions

David Messina dmessina at wustl.edu
Fri Nov 10 14:55:44 UTC 2006

> bioperl.lisp

This is the emacs template for bioperl module writing. Should be kept
I think.
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Emacs_template

> maintenance/symlink_scripts.pl
> maintenance/symlink_scripts.PLS

Don't know if they're still needed, but Makefile.PL still refers to
them.

> doc/makedoc.PL

I think this does similar to what you propose below, namely
redefining modules' version strings to be the same as
Bio::Root::Version's. I don't see any reason to remove it, but I like
your suggestion to have all the modules get their version from
Bio::Root::Version.

> scripts/install_bioperl_scripts.pl

Does what it says. Don't know if it's still needed; I think
Makefile.PL handles script installation. Re your other post about
switching over to Build.PL, I think scripts go into /usr/local/bin by
default, or wherever specified if PREFIX or the like is set when the
user runs 'perl Makefile.PL'. That seems to fit with other CPAN
distros' model, and is what I (as an end-user) would expect.

Dave