[Bioperl-l] StandAloneFasta::version

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 7 16:54:48 UTC 2006

On Nov 7, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:

>> Is it possible to have the interface base class contain an
>> abstract program_version() (or similar) method?  One that could be
>> implemented to just grab the current version of the program?  I
>> was thinking about something like this for the RNA-based wrappers
>> I want to add but it seems to be something that most Run modules
>> would benefit from.  Just haven't had time to look into it with
>> much detail.
>
> What's wrong with version() ?

Didn't realize there was a version() already.

>> Almost wonder if it would be easier to have all bioperl-run
>> modules have a Run-specific Root object for common methods,
>> regardless of the other interfaces used.  Maybe something
>> inheriting Bio::Root::Root...
>
> What's wrong with Bio::Tools::Run::WrapperBase ?

I agree that WrapperBase fulfills most of this functionality.
However, don't a few bioperl-run wrappers 'roll their own', i.e. not
implement WrapperBase?  Requiring all bioperl-run module inherit the
same Run-specific base object would integrate them a bit more and
distinguish them from the core modules (which would inherit
Bio::Root::Root).  Anyway, it's just a suggestion.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry