[Bioperl-l] proposal: Bio::CDAT (character data and trees)

Arlin Stoltzfus stoltzfu at umbi.umd.edu
Fri May 12 15:56:06 UTC 2006

Dear developers--

We propose a Bio::CDAT (Character Data And Trees) module to
facilitate comparative analysis
using evolutionary methods by 1) managing evolutionary relationships
(by linking data to trees)
and 2) allowing coordinated analysis of different types of data (by
implementing a generic concept
of “character-state” data).  Bio::CDAT would leverage existing
BioPerl objects and include the functionality
of Rutger Vos's Bio::Phylo.  It would provide the framework to
develop interfaces to analysis tools
(phylogeny inference, evolutionary rate models, functional shift
inference, etc), as well as to file
formats and visualization methods appropriate for such analyses.  A
proposal is available at

   http://www.molevol.org/camel/projects/CDAT-proposal.pdf

We would like to hear your thoughts (e.g., see the section on
"Questions to consider")!  Thanks

Arlin Stoltzfus
WeiGang Qiu
Rutger Vos
(with thanks to Justin Reese and Aaron Mackey)
Arlin Stoltzfus (stoltzfu at umbi.umd.edu)
CARB, 9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, Maryland  20850
tel 240 314 6208, fax 240 314 6255, www.molevol.org/camel