[Bioperl-l] reading and writing GFF3

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 20 18:09:38 UTC 2006

Getting to know this code a little better, I notice a couple of little
things:

1.) my patch attached to bug 2026 draws unnecessary distinctions between
feature types that use tags, and those that use annotations, since all
features are now Bio::AnnotatableI's and the *_tags_* methods are
implemented in AnnotatableI in terms of annotation objects now.  You
guys should probably just ignore it, since from the sound of it you're
going to be changing all of this around anyway.  Wish I could be there
to help and learn more.

2.) the %tag2text hash in Bio::AnnotatableI stores a list of scalar
accessors to use when translating Bio::Annotation::* objects to and from
scalar tags.  Seems to me, this would be much better accomplished by
using polymorphism of some sort, probably adding a multipurpose as_tag()
accessor in Bio::AnnotationI and the objects that implement it, then
using that in Bio::AnnotatableI instead of %tag2text.  Does this make
sense, or am I misinterpreting something here?  Reason I've noticed this
is because I've been wrestling with how to translate
Bio::Annotation::Target objects to and from scalar tag values, since a
Target is being represented as an ordered list of 3 or 4 scalar tags in
old things that were designed to interoperate with gff2, and I can't
figure out a nice way to do it using the rather inflexible %tag2text
mechanism.

Sorry to be a pain, just wanted to get that in there before you guys
start your jam session in Durham.

Rob