[Bioperl-l] Output a subset of FASTA data from a single large file

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sun Jun 11 04:32:04 UTC 2006

What happens if you just print $idmatch or $1 (i.e. check to see if
the regex matches anything)?  If there is nothing printed then either
the regex isn't working as expected or there is something logically
wrong.  The problem may be that the captured string must match the id
exactly, the id being the key to the %ID hash; any extra characters
picked up by the regex outside of your id key and you will not get
anything.  Looking at Malcolm's regex it should work just fine, but
we only had one example sequence to try here.

If your while loop is set up like this won't it only print only the
matched description lines to the outfile (no sequence) even if there
is a match?  Or is this what you wanted?   If you want the sequence
you should add 'print OUT <PROBES>;' after the 'print OUT;' line.

Chris