[Bioperl-l] results problem with StandAloneBlast

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sun Jun 4 05:17:46 UTC 2006

There's an interesting addition to this I found while checking this
out; looks like if you use:

my @hits =  $result->hits;

to get all the hits, you don't need to use '$result->rewind'.  The
rewind method resets the iterator for the hit list back back to the
beginning, but using the hits method to grab all the hits doesn't use
the iterator at all.  This works either pre- or post-iteration
through the Hit::BlastHit objects.

Another thing; Genevieve was passing the SearchIO report object (i.e.
the parser object which was returned from StandAloneBlast,
$blast_report) to the methods, not the
Bio::Search::Result::BlastResult object; looks like there was some
confusion between the two object types since she refers to the report
as the result object when it's actually the SearchIO parser object.
So, once the parser was passed into the first method, a result object
was generated, then destroyed.  When entering the second method, the
parser had already read parsed the report and generated the objects,
so it ended with no output.

Though passing the BlastResult object is better since one should only
have to parse the report once and use the objects, for curiosity's
sake, is there a method to rewind the parser itself (in other words,
read through the report again)?

Chris