[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes (Chris Fields)

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Sat Jul 29 07:54:52 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:

> As for branch lengths, I think you're confusing 'taxonomy' (classification
> of organisms based on just about anything) with 'phylogeny' (evolutionary
> relatedness).  Note in the Wikipedia article below the use of the term
> 'phylogenetic taxonomy', which is the classification of organisms based on
> evolutionary relationships.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomy
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylogeny

Indeed. The two can be considered closely intertwined - if you were
making a phylogeny you might hang it on a taxonomy. At any rate, you
need to know a bunch of evolutionarily related species names before you
start work, and Bio::Taxonomy::Node has been as good a place as any to
get that.

> There are HOWTOs on tree manipulation, population genetics, and PAML on the
> wiki which might be a good start for Bioperl phylogenetic methods:
>
> http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:Trees

Which is why the Trees HOWTO talks about taxa, and a number of the
Taxonomy modules have phylogenetic methods like get_lca. (And why there
is Bio::Taxonomy::Taxon and Tree.)

I suppose this is another reason to make Bio::Taxonomy::Node (ne
Bio::Taxon) implement Bio::Tree::NodeI.

(for these reasons I don't think Gabriel's method isn't best appropriate
as a script - it's something you might do all the time, as a matter of
course. If Bio::Taxon wasa Bio::Tree::NodeI you would just do my $tree =
new Bio::Tree::Tree(-root => $bio_taxon); and blamo, instant
phylogenetic taxonomy)