[Bioperl-l] Structure::IO

Brian Osborne osborne1 at optonline.net
Thu Jul 27 13:44:33 UTC 2006

Bernd,

I'll need to take a look a closer look at the POD but from your description
it seems it's wrong, or certainly incomplete. To get the HEADER line you'll
do something like:

my $stream = Bio::Structure::IO->new(-file => $filename,
                                                 -format => 'pdb');
my $struc = $stream->next_structure();
my $anncoll = $struc->annotation;
my @headers = $anncoll->get_Annotations('header');

This implies that all these top-level annotations are associated with the
entry, not with the chains. I don't use Bio::Structure so don't assume this
is true for all annotations.

There are 2 ways to explore this further. One is to look at t/StructIO.t or
other tests, useful examples are frequently found in the tests. The other is
to run your script in the debugger:

>perl -d pdb.pl 1CAM.pdb

By examining the variables your script creates using the "x" command you get
to see exactly where strings are stored and what the names of the keys are,
this is how I found the HEADER line. Type "h" for the debugger's Help.

Brian O.