[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Jul 27 05:06:52 UTC 2006

I think this looks like a great solution. You could also name
Bio::DB::Taxonomy::list as Bio::DB::Taxonomy::inmemory because it
really isn't much else than an in-memory database (of limited content
if you populate it from flat-file sequence annotation).

The only reservation I have is that you'd have methods on Node that
don't really operate on the node instance but rather operate on the
taxonomy (database) behind the scenes. That's what I would have used
Bio::Taxonomy for, not so much as a container than as a class with
(conceptually) 'static' methods corresponding to those that are now
in Node, like get_Lineage_Nodes(). They would optionally accept a
db_handle too, or use a default one set as an attribute.

However, leaving/having these methods on Node really isn't such a big
deal and I'm sure would even be preferred by many people for the sake
of simplicity.

So overall I think you should just go ahead.

	-hilmar