[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 24 00:43:45 UTC 2006

As an aside, the 'source' seqfeature in a GenBank file contains some
of the following information as tags; that's where the NCBI tax ID is
taken from in Bio::SeqIO::genbank:

FEATURES             Location/Qualifiers
      source          1..814
                      /organism="Porterinema fluviatile"
                      /organelle="plastid:chloroplast"
                      /mol_type="genomic DNA"
                      /strain="SAG 124.79"
                      /db_xref="taxon:246123"
                      /country="Germany"

So, variant(), organelle(), and ncbi_taxid() could all be set from
the same point in Bio::SeqIO::genbank.

I suggested an option to Sendu, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on
this since this will possibly affect bioperl-db.  We could have two
Node-like Taxonomy objects using a common interface class
(Bio::Taxonomy::NodeI) : Bio::Taxonomy::Node (stripped down version),
and Bio::Taxonomy::Species (the sequence-based NodeI-implementing
object, which would retain the other Bio::Species-like methods).
Bio::Taxonomy::Species would act sort of as an 'entry point' for
Bio::Taxonomy from sequences; moving up or down the tax node
hierarchy gets Tax::Node objects, unless you are specifically at a
'species'-ranked node (though this could be just a Tax::Node as well).

BTW, I have managed to get Bio::SeqIO::genbank switched over to
Bio::Taxonomy::Node (er... Bio::Taxonomy::Species); all tests pass.
I was quite surprised how easy it was.  It shouldn't be too hard to
get a NodeI/Node/Species class hierarchy set up if everybody thinks
it's worth it.  Then we could deprecate Bio::Species!

Chris