[Bioperl-l] installing bioperl

Matthew A. Saunders saunders at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 20 21:47:08 UTC 2006

Dear Bioperl representative,

I have been trying to install bioperl (in order to ultimately run some
Ensembl APIs) but I seem to be having some problems with the
bioperl installation.

I have followed the installation directions and I get to the last steps of
the "make" process, yet this stage fails with the error message below.
Can you possibly tell me what is the problem.  I am not sure that I
understand the command "make", but I think that it requires that there be
a file named "makefile" in the given folder, when I look in my newly
formed "bioperl-1.4" folder there is no "makefile" in there.  Perhaps that
is a problem.  If so, how might I rectify the matter?

Thanks!

Matt

************************************************************* . .
.
    Enjoy the rest of bioperl, which you can use after going 'make install'

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DB_File/DB_File.so:
undefined symbol: db_version
Running make test
   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
Running make install
   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

                   Matthew  A. Saunders
           UNCF-MERCK Postdoctoral Research Fellow

              Dept. of Ecology and Evolution
                  University of Chicago