[Bioperl-l] bioperl-db working (for the moment) on Win32

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 17 20:44:55 EST 2006

Hilmar,

Just wanted to drop a line saying bioperl-db seems to be up and
running on Windows (at least for the moment!). All tests pass using
ActivePerl and cygwin-perl.  I am trying to sort out the issue with
throw in Bio::Root::Root (specifically, why it doesn't work without
the added comma; I'm trying the modifications to Root.pm on Mac OS X
now) and am trying to also figure out why bioperl and bioperl-db give
tons of warnings using ActivePerl (most just state that x subroutine
was redefined in y.pm line z, so aren't serious).  This is an
ActivePerl or nmake issue and not a bioperl problem as there are no
warnings using 'make test' in cygwin.  I am in the midst of writing
up the steps for installing bioperl and bioperl-db using MySQL as the
relational DB with either ActivePerl or cygwin; I really don't have
much experience with postgreSQL, oracle, MsSQL (B. Wang's added
modules), etc., but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry