[Bioperl-l] Blast returns result, but does not return hits

Raghunath Verabelli iamvela at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 22:32:08 UTC 2006

Chris,

Please see my response below.

--- Chris Fields <cjfields at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> You know, I assumed you were using ActivePerl b/c of
> the older version of
> Bioperl (and since it’s the most commonly used Perl
> for Windows build).  My
> goof.  It looks like you're using
> Apache/mod_perl/perl, right?  The only
> Perl/Apache/mod_perl combos for Windows I know of
> are listed here:

I am using ActivePerl 5.8.7 downloaded from
activeperl.com. I just happened to install it under
c:\mod_perl\Perl directory (application has hardcoded
dependencies for this directory). I am not using
apache/mod_perl/perl.

Please see below version string returned by perl
exectutable.

C:\bioperl-live\bioperl-live>perl -version

This is perl, v5.8.7 built for
MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
(with 14 registered patches, see perl -V for more
detail)

Copyright 1987-2005, Larry Wall

Binary build 815 [211909] provided by ActiveState
http://www.ActiveState.com
ActiveState is a division of Sophos.
Built Nov  2 2005 08:44:52

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/install.html

> The only Perl for Windows we have actively supported
> is ActivePerl AFAIK,
> but maybe we can walk through this.  Anything
> learned here can be added to
> the installation instructions in case this comes up
> again.
>
> To start, what mod_perl/Perl version are you using,
> and from what
> distributor (IndigoStar, Apache, etc)?  Each
> distribution should have some
> documentation for installing CPAN modules or
> prebuilt/pretested packages,
> like ActiveState's PPM or IndigoStar's GPM.  I think
> Apache's Perl build is
> from ActiveState's source code so should come with
> PPM.

I used 'ppm' to install packages (DBI, Oracle-DBD,
bioperl etc) before, so this is the first time I tried
to install it using 'nmake' utility.

After downloading the latest bioperl tar ball and
replacing the blast.pm file, can I just do ppm install
bioperl instead of doing nmake?

> Next: you obviously have installed Bioperl before
> (v1.2.3); did you use
> 'make' or 'nmake', or was it from a repository (like
> IndigoPerl's GPM)?
> AFAIK, you would install it like you would any other
> perl module; there
> should be no problem with 'make/nmake', though
> 'make/nmake test' will not
> pass completely (it should pass most tests, though,
> otherwise something is
> seriously wrong).
>
> The other option, though not as nice, is setting the
> PERL5LIB variable to
> include the bioperl-live directory; it works for me
> while I'm developing.

I tried setting PERL5LIB, but it did not make any
difference. I am still getting the same errors.

I wanted to a clean install, i tried 'nmake clean',
but looks like there is no 'rm' utility installed on
my machine.

thanks for all your help,
Raghu

> don’t know how this may affect other