[Bioperl-l] Fetching genomic sequences based on HUGO names or GeneIDs

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 16 22:45:52 UTC 2006

If I know the start, end, and strand info for a list of features (personal
preference, since I use Bio::SeqFeature::Generic with the RNAMotif I drew
up), couldn't I try pulling out the surrounding region?  My thought is this,
though I haven't coded it yet:

1)  Draw up a list of Seqfeatures, with accession, start, stop coordinates
(array of hashes) based off what I get from RNAMotif objects.
2)  Pull the sequence from NCBI using Bio::DB::GenBank with x bp upstream
and downstream, one at a time, using get_Seq_by_ID().  I could add a sleep
in there somewhere to not tick off the NCBI curators.

Reason I'm interested in this is b/c I want to know where the RNA motif is
in context to surrounding features. If it is very close to a coding region,
then the motif likely indicates translational regulation.  Further away may
indicate transcriptional termination or another mechanism.

The files returned should have the features included as long as they are in
the full length GenBank record.  I tried it out using the web form but not
through Bio::DB::GenBank yet.  If I can get it to work I'll add it to the
page.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry