[Bioperl-l] RemoteBlast [was: (no subject)]

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 8 15:32:25 UTC 2006

Roger,

It might be better to build a wrapper for the blastcl3 and make it a
separate Bio::Tools::Run module, maybe branch it off from RemoteBlast or,
better yet, StandAloneBlast.  All the put/get parameters in the BEGIN{}
block for RemoteBlast look like they are configured for NCBI's HTTP
submission via CGI; I don't think you can use these for blastcl3.  Ergo,
you'll have to create a whole new set of hashes or parameter arrays inside
RemoteBlast just for blastcl3 since everything is passed via command-line
flags, like so (from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/docs/netblast.html):

blastcl3 -p blastp -d nr -i MY_QUEYR -o MY_QUERY.out

However, StandAloneBlast looks like it has all the parameters mapped out in
the BEGIN{} block.  And it looks like the command line options support just
about everything you get via the web version.  It probably wouldn't take
much modification from StandAloneBlast to get it to run blastcl3.

As for queueing, I don't think it's supported, though you can send in a
FASTA file with multiple sequences for multiple BLAST queries (I tried this
and it works).  You could also create a queue using a sequence factory,
sending them to the netblast client one at a time, though I'd suggest
putting a delay in between cycles in that case so as not to make the guys at
NCBI cranky.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry