[Bioperl-l] standalone blast composition based statistics parameter

Torsten Seemann torsten.seemann at infotech.monash.edu.au
Mon Feb 6 05:22:09 UTC 2006

Hubert

> thanks for your quick reply, I have looked up at the ftp server and
> there are nt.00 to nt.04. Do I have to download all of them, are there
> differences?

You have to download them all. The "nt" database (actually the index
files) is very big, and it is split up into gigabyte (?) parts. Although
they are called "nt.00" "nt.01" etc, you still pass "-d nt" to
"blastall", because together these parts are one "nt" database. The
"blastall" program will automatically use the separate parts; you do not
have to join them.

You should read http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/BLAST/ to make sure you are
using the correct BLAST search for your problem.

--
Torsten Seemann
Victorian Bioinformatics Consortium, Monash University, Australia