[Bioperl-l] Problem with : EUtilities - Proxy

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 20 22:46:35 UTC 2006

> Chris Fields wrote:
> >> First, I got a $http_proxy env. variable automatically
> defined by the
> >> BioPerl installation (I don't define and export it in my
> >> .bash_profile).
> >> So when I'm logging in,
> $http_proxy=http://ip_adress:port/
> >
> > BioPerl can't permanently set any env. variables out of the
> box since
>
> True, and it doesn't try to set one temporarily either.
>
> To clarify some of the other points Chris made, the proxy
> variable certainly doesn't need username and password to be
> defined (from LWPs point of view), since not all proxies
> authenticate. Of course accesses won't work if authentication
> is actually required and these aren't set.
>
> There's no reason that no_proxy should have to be set. It is
> used to say what domains shouldn't be proxied. Either this is
> a real LWP bug, or somehow EUtilities or one of its bases is
> doing something wrong. It should be investigated...

Actually, after some investigation I repeated the error and committed a fix.

If I set (on WinXP) HTTP_PROXY to a dummy variable I get the same error:

Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
C:/Perl/lib/LWP/UserAgent.pm line 787.

It's EUtilities-specific as other WebAgents that have proxy settings do not
have the same problem, though I haven't checked any WebAgent-based classes.
I think this may also partly be an LWP bug as setting env_proxy to
TRUE/FALSE doesn't seem to have an effect, but instantiating with it
(env_proxy => 1) in the constructor fixes the problem.  Anthony, I have
committed a fix to CVS to GenericWebDBI and EUtilities.  Could you try it
out?

-chris