[Bioperl-l] Bioperl 1.5.2 RC5 installonWinXPActivePerl 5.8.8.819

Nathan S. Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Dec 1 18:52:55 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
>> PPM).  I can
>>
>>> see using CPAN as an alternative way of installing Bioperl for a
>>> distribution, or as the primary method via CVS or manually, but not
>>> for distributions.  At least not until the kinks are worked out for
>>> Windows users.
>>>
>> CPAN isn't being suggested as the primary or preferred
>> installation method for Windows. That will still be PPM. I'm
>> mentioning CPAN / manual installation in the Windows INSTALL
>> docs for the benefit of anyone who wants a simple install and
>> test environment when checking out from CVS.
>>

> That's fine by me.  I think the focus is making sure the PPM works, but that
> shouldn't hold up the final 1.5.2 release.  The PPM for previous releases
> was never released concurrently with the distribution (if at all); it
> generally followed by a few weeks to a few months past a final release.
>

>>> What are the significant issues for a bioperl PPM installation
>>>
>> None that I'm aware of - I just need to find the time to
>> start looking into generating an appropriate PPD. Hopefully
>> Nathan's wiki page on the subject will be all I need.
>>

> I'll try testing it out today and next week (the more people we have looking
> into the issue the better).  I'm sure that Module::Build hasn't updated to
> using PPM4 XML formatting, but the tags are similar enough.  I can always
> create a local PPM database using a similar directory structure to
> bioperl.org/DIST and test an installation from it.
>
> chris

To clarify a few things about PPM4 XML and to highlight the main
differences:

1) The use of PROVIDE and REQUIRE tags
2) PPM4 XML "should" contain PROVIDE tags for ALL bioperl modules.
3) VERSION in PROVIDE and REQUIRE tags should be floats, not comma
separated tuples like PPM3 XML
4) the VERSION in PROVIDE and REQUIRE are used internally to do version
comparisons for upgrades and solving prereqs etc
5) Module names should all contain '::' either natively according their
namespace, if it doesn't have one natively, then one is appended to the
end e.g. "GD::"
6) the VERSION in the SOFTPKG key is for human readability only
7) the NAME in SOFTPKG is used to identify which packages are actually
the same.

Nath

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0652-4, 30/11/2006
Tested on: 01/12/2006 18:52:57