[Bioperl-l] Bioperl 1.5.2 RC5 install onWinXPActivePerl 5.8.8.819

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Fri Dec 1 09:13:23 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:

> I know that setting up the PPM is a pain, but I have to say it is much
> faster, and all required PPMs are available.  Which makes me curious:
> why bother with trying out a CPAN installation process at this point,
> especially when you have to use PPM to install some of the prereqs
> properly anyway?

Firstly, problems discovered and resulting fixes will help all
platforms, not just Windows. So thanks for trying it out and reporting
back. Secondly, the PPM method, like Bundle::BioPerl, is all-or-nothing.
The CPAN installation method allows an interactive choice of which
optional things to install.

If what you say about DB_File is true, then that's a great shame!

So I can do further trouble-shooting of my own, what is the sure-fire
way to completely clean-out an ActivePerl install, including any modules
you might have installed with PPMs or CPAN?