[Bioperl-l] Bio::AlignIO ignores questionmarks?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 14 15:41:09 UTC 2006

I wouldn't trust wikipedia with that one.  Check out the bioperl page:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/FASTA_sequence_format

The problem is, there is no really well-established universal rule for FASTA
format.  These are three valid FASTA input sequences for some programs:

>xyz

-

It's all dependent on how a program/web interface imports the sequence.  You
don't need a description line, just '>' will do.  Some don't even reuire a
sequence, though most filters will warn you.  Even the rules for wrapping
the sequences on multiple line are different (is it 60, 80, 100, or none?).
I know, when I first started (early '90's), a quick and easy way to get
sequences ready for BLAST searches which required FASTA was copy-paste and
add '>' and CR in a line above, with no additional line breaks in the
sequence (all on one line).  Still works AFAIK...