[Bioperl-l] Bio::AlignIO ignores questionmarks?

David Messina dnm_a at swbell.net
Fri Apr 14 14:13:54 UTC 2006

Hi Kai,

I'm by no means an expert with this module, but I'll take a shot.

Running your code through a debugger, I'm seeing that
Bio::AlignIO::fasta is gobbling the question marks:

line 66: $MATCHPATTERN = '^A-Za-z\.\-';

and then where $entry contains a line of sequence from the input file

line 118: $entry =~ s/[$MATCHPATTERN]//g;

As far as I can tell, a question mark is not a valid character for
the FASTA format (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTA_format) --
perhaps that's the reason Bio::AlignIO::fasta doesn't permit them?

And then by the time missing_char() is applied, the question marks
are already gone.

What happens if you read in your sequence with question marks in a
format that explicitly permits question marks?

Dave